Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Starting over...


Going to a different country is a bit like rebirth; like being a child again. You can't speak, people have to lead you around everywhere, you're awkward and insecure (like the teenage years). It doesn't matter what you've done in life up to this point. You're back at square one, in a sense, learning a new culture, language, rhythm of life. It's good. It's humbling. It's a little disorienting.

Today, we left Panama City and, consequently, our dear friends Keith and Marion. I say "dear" not in terms of longevity in the relationship, but in depth. We really barely know them, but we connected with them really well and had great conversations over our 2 day stay. Very knowledgeable, kind and hospitable sort of folks.

Keith really does not need a cane, but somehow ended up with one in the pic.
Keith and Marion
Keith took us to the Panama Canal last night. It was great, and I'm sure we'll be back during the day sometime to see more.



Today, we got on a bus at 8:30am and traveled 8 hours to the city of David (Da-veed). We were picked up by a lady named Joy who took us to her home in a place called Volcan. We're gonna stay with her for a couple weeks until my Aunt and Uncle get back from the U.S. This week she'll be hosting a team of doctors and 4 Peace Corps translators. They'll be doing cataract surgeries, dental work and other medical "stuff". We'll be helping out as much as we can. I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night (I joke).

Some vids of our journey. We got front row seats on the top of a double-decker bus!


Crossing the Canal

7 comments:

  1. Volcan! haha maybe you will run into captain Spock. Very glad to see you made it there safely and got a chance to see some of the sites. I hope you are able to bless those on the medical team with your helpful hands and creative minds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently Kyle is going to be driving the team and patients to and from the medical center and I will be cooking for about 20 people which is great because I love to cook.

      Delete
    2. sounds like good jobs for both of you! Kyle seems very friendly (from the one conversation we have had on the phone) so he should do good with the kids in the back seat, and you get to do something you like:) 'm really hoping to make it down there while you are there. My debts will be paid off soon!!! so its a matter of finding a way to make money now :)

      Delete
  2. Yo! I'm thinking that music from the videos could be yall's new Kenny G. Just sayin'. I liked the bridge video and I appreciate the cane prop in the pictures; I think I would like Keith and Marion. Also, you used the word disorienting and I realized that might be a perfect word for describing the culture shock involved with returning from Asia...
    Anyhow, you guys are thebomb.com and I look forward to hearing stories from your upcoming adventure with doctors and the like. Maybe the work with chickens that you have done will prepare you to assist with surgeries...
    Win for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kyle: "Doctor, I'll inspect the gizzard if you want me to."
      Doctor: "Humans don't have gizzards, son."
      Kyle: "Oh yeah, I was just checking to see if you knew."

      Delete
    2. Um, my mom wants you to blog again. And she asked if you'll be doing it in Minn.

      Delete
  3. The "Holiday Inn Express" joke really made me grin, as did the background music on the bus video. :) So excited for you guys as your Panama adventure continues!

    ReplyDelete