Saturday, January 28, 2012

Coffee

Raise your hand if you drink coffee. Raise your hand if you really enjoy coffee and have had many meaningful, life-altering conversations over a cup of this gift. Raise your hand if you know what a French press is (no, not Tony Parker playing defense in the backcourt). Do you know what the term "fully city roast" means? What about the term "cupping"?
Anyway, coffee is a part of most of our daily lives. Most of us don't even think about not having it. In recent years I've learned to appreciate the different ways of drinking, brewing, and roasting it (I'll have to put up some vids of me roasting coffee at home). And now, being in Panama (especially in high elevations), we are right in the midst of a coffee growing culture, a part of the process that I've never been able to see in person. So here's what I'm interested in learning:
How does coffee grow?
What makes some coffees better than others?
Who makes the most money in this business?
Do the workers get paid enough? If I see working conditions will I still want to drink coffee?
Would I ever want to have a coffee shop someday?

Here's our first half-a-day visit to a major coffee growing region. The city is called Boquete. Enjoy.

It's all Christmassy, with the deep green leaves and ripe, red coffee cherries.
Coffee beans (or seeds) come from these "coffee cherries" below. Each cherry has 2 bean halves.


The view down into the valley. Coffee grows best in high altitudes.

Trying a way-too-expensive cup of coffee. But, hey, I had to.
My coffee budget for the week!

9 comments:

  1. So how did the coffee taste?????

    looks like fun...enjoy each day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasted great! The description was "sweet and citric" and I would agree.

      Delete
  2. nice....9 dollars. Just had my prayer walk with coffee. Conversation with God and drinking coffee..a wonderful combination. dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will you also be answering all the questions in you blog later?
    Dad is going to have his 20 cent cup of Allgro Christmas Blend coffee now after watching you drink your $9 cup...would you buy it again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know all the answers yet, but I'm sure we'll get to spend more time at coffee farms later.
      There were 4 special coffees to try, and I think it's best when they're tasted and shared with a few friends. I would definitely do it again with other coffee lovers, but not by myself.

      Delete
  4. Next to your Kindle, that cup of coffee has to be the best gift you've had down there, right? It is fun to see your excitement and enthusiasm. I already thought you were my friend who knew the most about coffee, but now you might be giving Juan Valdez a run for his money.
    I'm really enjoying that you update your blog a lot- keep it up! Some Spanish videos would be entertaining, for what that is worth. I look forward to reading more- thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a whole library on one small device is pretty sweet! I get all tingly inside when I think about it (don't tell anyone I said that).
      Ya, coffee was nice. Wish you were across the table from me como las buen dias del pasado. Videos en espanol estara aqui en el futuro. Mucho amor mi amigo. Recuerda, me gusta seguir los adventuras de tin-tin tambien!!

      Delete
  5. For the record, I do read your replies. And I even understand that Spanish. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete