Thursday, August 23, 2012

Shear Glory Honduras...

Back home, when I work at the Redken Elite La Barberia Salon and Spa, my day starts with getting dressed in trendy, sleek, mostly black clothing with great accessories. Applying make up so my eyes look pretty, and of course doing something creative with my crazy curls. 

At work, with a client, we discuss their hair needs, their routines, products used etc...and then start the process of creating a new and improved look that they can rock with confidence, whether that be an edgy new cut, hot new color or even finding the perfect product to make life easier. 

When I'm traveling, and needed haircuts occur, I throw on running shorts, find a stool for the customer, a chair for me (so I don't kill my back), and a well lit area that is large enough for everyone to watch (which in this case is the girls dorm hallway.)  

Last time I did this at a children's home was in India with Cath in honor of Shear Glory which was a vision of Lisa Marie's to be an outreach of Christ's love on people who needed haircuts, love and someone to talk to. That day in India, 26 haircuts in 2 hours...that means long and straight across. Crazy. 



My customers today are the girls and women at The New Hope Children's Home in Catacamas, Honduras. The children's home is home to 20 kids ranging from a set of 2 yr old twins to 16. Today I cut 10 girls and 3 adults. 4 of which have gorgeous curly hair in desperate need of Redken Smooth Down Conditioner and Redken Curl Wise Defining Cream. But hopefully we'll be able to buy them some. 

(La Barberia offers magazines, radio, and/or a tv for entertainment if wanted....here we have a 13 yr old being pulled on a cart. The owner of the cart - the toddler - not sure what to think. Priceless)

The girls were already so beautiful and now they feel it. 
Griselda set the tone for a fun day. I thought with all these girls having crazy long thick hair that they'd all want to keep it long and I'd do 10 boring long layered haircuts. I was so wrong. Griselda sits down and points to her eyebrows for bangs. I thought, "Sweet, this will be fun."
Maribel (10 yrs old) before and after. This girl had a TON of hair. 


         
Karen (12 yrs old) before.
Karen after. 

    
Marisol (the house mom) and Yoceline 15 yrs old (Marisol's biological daughter and a wonderful big sister to all the house kids) 

 These girls are wonderful. They have a loving and beautiful home here at New Hope. They always are in need of shampoo, conditioner, brushes, lice medicine (an unfortunate reality for the rest of the world). They are very clean here at New Hope, wash regularly, and are checked every 3 days, however, their friends at school aren't and those critters spread easily.  If you would like to help purchase any of these items, please let me know how much through email (lyneaj@gmail.com) so I can purchase the items here and let you know how to send the money. 


Left to Right: Lily, Karen, Maribel, Elsa, Yoseline, Linda, Anyi, Cesia, Griselda, Sindy, Marisol


No comments:

Post a Comment