Saturday, March 7, 2009

The First Shear Glory International






Well a few years ago God gave LisaMarie Rose a vision of Shear Glory. It was to be an outreach of Christ's love on people who needed haircuts, love, and someone to talk to. La Barberia (of Cleveland, OH) has hosted a few at their shops and have seen people touched by the experience. The stylists have given up a whole day to love on people in need in and around Cleveland. They have seen single moms, children, homeless, and members of Magnolia Clubhouse totally blessed because of this program. The only problem was that Lisa's original vision was global. Start small and let God do the rest.  While I was in Cleveland last year I fell in love with this vision and then just happened to move to India. 

In January, Kyle and I visited the Bethania Association orphanage a few hours from where we live. While I was there, Priscilla (the lady in charge) told me that a bunch of the girls had lice and a barber had given them all bowl cuts.  In America this wouldn't be a huge deal because hair grows and children have all different length hair. Here, girls wear their hair in two long braids for school everyday. If you can't, you are seen as 'the little orphan girl.'  It's a stigma that the kids have to live with at school everyday.  I told Priscilla I'd come back in two months and cut everyone's hair once it grew a little. Kyle and I went this past weekend with 4 other teachers and 4 students to love on the kids. My friend Cath and I did 26 haircuts in 2 hours!!! The girls that had bowl cuts are now mullets, so i tried my best to cut so that it will grow into a bob.  Cath took care of all the other girls who needed inches of dead ends cut off.  Some were so scared but we assured them that it was healthy to get all the dead stuff cut.  The other girls with us painted nails and drew henna to pamper the girls for a day. Kyle and the guys did construction and played with the boys.  The kids were excited and I think we all left more blessed than the kids were!!

It's crazy how God works. Using someone on the other side of the world to carry out a vision. 
(The sunset picture is a view of our mountains while driving down!)

4 comments:

  1. This is SO AMAZING!! GOD IS SO AMAZING!! I am thouroughly overwhelmed, humbled, and full of joy. I am so glad it was you who did our first International Outreach! Thank you a million times. The smiles on the faces of the kids are priceless. I cant wait to come there to love on the them myself! And on you! I miss you and love you beyond measure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that idea can work in many cultures, although I'm pretty sure no one would want me cutting their hair as an outreach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome! I saw the heading and I thought, "LisaMarie is gonna flip!" The way God works is so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this blessed my heart so much neea! love you :)

    ReplyDelete