Thursday, August 16, 2012

Volcanic rock + Sledding = Heart attack for Mothers

You’ve heard of volcanoes. You’ve heard of hiking, black sand, and volcanic rock. You’ve heard of sledding and snow boarding. You’ve driven at 55 mph on the highway. What do you get when you put them all together? Volcano boarding. Listed #2 on CNN’s Thrill Seeker's Bucket List, volcano boarding involves a 45 min difficult hike up the back rocky side of Cerro Negro carrying a wooden sled/board, a jump suit, and goggles, and then fearlessly sledding down 600 m of black sand/volcanic rock. Oh, I have to say that the last 200 meters is a 41 degree angle in which we were told under no matter what… do NOT break during this point. It will result in you flipping face first. 

Cerro Negro (Black Hill) was born in 1850. Ironically, a basaltic cinder cone volcano usually only erupts once, this one has erupted 23 times since it's birth. One year it left 8cm of ash on the communities below. 

Goodness he's handsome! Cerro Negro is in the backgound. 
Don't pass...it's a risk zone for volcanic eruptions

The whole experience was AMAZING!!! The hike up was really hard and in the blazing sun on black rock. HOT!!! It was like climbing slippery stairs carrying a big board. I have to add (for my dad, brothers, and father in law to be proud) I was the first one to the top with Carlos, our guide, who was not carrying anything. J Dads- I totally wish I had worn my keens! Barefoot runners are not meant for volcanic rock!

Once at the top, Carlos gave a 10 minute demo on how to not die or seriously injure ourselves and then we go two by two down the 600 meter slope. The record: 89 kph - roughy 55 mph. 


Our camera does panoramic...sweet!

Inside the crater.


Only cool people wrap purple shirts around their faces.
I went really fast…but slid off the board right before the guy was going to clock my speed. When I got back on, I didn’t have enough time to pick up speed again and only got clocked going 30kph. Boo! 

I went early in the pack so I got to watch most of the group come down…and wipe out. Very few made it down without falling off. It was wobbly and hard to keep straight. It was actually quite funny watching the crashes. There was only one non-funny one. A girl and her board did 2 cartwheels…that was scary to see.



Kyle was last…and went really fast!!! 65 kpm - 40 mph!! Everyone was really impressed…and enjoyed his little spill at the end.




I would totally do it again and would recommend it to anyone going Leon, Nicaragua. Volcano boarding, one night stay, and breakfast at Bigfoot was only $30! 





3 comments:

  1. Nice jumping picture, but gracious, that boarding looked fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like they got some old prison gear with those orange jumpsuits. I am very proud and only wish I could have been there to share it with you.....dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. aahhh it has to be possible to do somewhere where I am right now! that looks insane!

    ReplyDelete