Monday, August 22, 2016

Sequoia National Park and Kings Canyon

There are certain things in life that you just have to see to understand. I supposed most things in life are that way actually. However, certain images come to mind when we think about trees and there's just no comparing the trees we pass by each day to a sequoia tree. Being in a sequoia forest brings about a sense of reverence and respect that is hard to find in other places. We had an amazing few nights camping near these giants.


Went on a fascinating ranger tour with ranger Frank.
This fallen tree was used as a motel and a horse stable.



Baby sequoias. Cue the "awww!"
When loggers first laid their eyes on the giant sequoias, they saw dollar signs. Cutting began and sequoia cemeteries were created – fields of giant stumps. 3-4,000 years of growth to this majestic point, cut down in a few days. Luckily, the sequoia wood wasn’t great for constructing. The fibers were short and the wood split easily. If it weren’t for that, maybe we would have no old growth sequoias left to enjoy.
I think of this story and how it might apply to me. Where are the places in my life where I’m being short-sighted or greedy? If my small choices and actions were amplified, would I be the one cutting down sequoias for quick profit? Where can I slow down, observe and apply wisdom so that future generations aren’t looking back in disgust?



A stump that was once used for dances.

Can you see Lynea?

Counting rings
Biggest tree in the world behind us.



No comments:

Post a Comment