Monday, August 22, 2016

Fig heaven

One of my favorite things to do in this great big world is to find things that are edible and eat them. Wild stuff, cultivated stuff, stuff in my backyard. I would even dare to cross over into wishy washy land and say it is a transcendent experience for me.
So when I heard there were lots of fig trees in California, finding one soared to the top of my priority list. And find one we did.

One of our friend's neighbors had a fig tree that was loaded! We knocked on the door to get permission to climb it, and he replied that it was better we eat them than the squirrels. Couldn't agree more!


Saw these babies for $1 each at a market. We picked a couple hundred!


Heaven
Blanching
Blending them up for fruit leather
Picking fruit is always more fun when you enjoy it with other people that appreciate it. Kim and Jon are definitely those people! 
Spreading out the the blended figs on the dehydrator. Fruit leather time.
"Better than any argument is to rise at dawn and pick dew-wet red berries in a cup."
Wendell Berry
"Even better than dew-wet red berries is filling a cardboard box with figs!"
Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment