Friday, July 20, 2012

Things I like and don't like about living on a tropical farm in a tent...


I like looking at the stars as I go to sleep. Sometimes they fall down.

I like the rhythm of going to sleep to a symphony of frogs and waking up to a chorus of birds.

I like waking up to pee under the moon.

I don’t like all the bites I get when I wake up to pee.

I don’t like when it rains in the middle of the night and I have to wake up and put a cover over our house (tent).

I like the feeling when the cover is on my house and I’m back inside falling asleep to the rain. Sounds nice.

I don’t like when it rains too much and the floor of our house and bed get wet.

I like having a pick-the-tropical-fruit-off-the-tree buffet everyday. Yes!

I like watching birds.

I like that my days have time in them to look at the birds. Someone important said to do that.

I like feeding the chickens.

I don’t like that the chickens aren’t laying many eggs. What to do?

I don’t like that while I was writing this I had to run through the rain and put the cover on the tent. I got drenched.

I like that the things I don’t like are pretty fun anyway.

I like gathering a salad each day from all of our perennial spinaches, berries and fruit.

I like that I know what perennial means now.

I like working with Marcelino. He knows a lot and he speaks Spanish slowly.

I like working and sweating.

I like the daily routine of jumping off the cliff and swimming in the river after work.

I don’t like the smell of my work clothes that usually get worn a few times before being washed.

I like using a machete for almost everything.

I like Lynea.

I like climbing a mango tree and noticing a sloth right beside me (happened the other day).

I like that our shower is outside. It’s fun to watch the sunset while showering.

I like taking a cold-water shower after a hot day of work.

I don’t like taking the cold-water shower at night when it’s cooler.

I like learning about the stuff that gives us life: foods, plants and animals.

I like the idea of sharing what we’re learning with other folks someday.

I like using the compost toilet:
A.    cause the room is made of bamboo and you get a nice breeze flowing through
and B. cause I feel good about my deposit being useful for something

I like walking around barefoot when I get the chance to.

I don’t like stepping on thorns. Someone smart thought of shoes.

I like Panama and living on a tropical farm…in a tent.

4 comments:

  1. I like you both alot and am thankful for your friendship.

    I don't like that I don't get these updates in person.

    I like to read these updates and hear how God is working in your lives as you grow closer to him.

    I like that you share about pee and "deposits". Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will definitely have a good chat the next time we see you!

      Delete
  2. Noticing a sloth! Did he/she notice you back! If so, what's it like to be noticed back by a sloth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bro! Yeah, it noticed me because I shook the branch it was on to wake it up. After it woke up, it slowly (obviously) climbed over me and went to the other side of the tree. I look away for 30 seconds and when I looked back, it was gone. Maybe they're really fast when you're not looking, or maybe it was super camouflaged, but I looked for 30 minutes and couldn't find it. So I ate mangos.

      Delete