Thursday, February 2, 2012

Need a workout? Open a coconut.

A coconut gave me a workout the other day. I was sweating by the end of the whole process. However, the taste of it is so worth the work!!! I know how to use dried coconut from a plasitc bag in smoothies, cookies, and friend rice. I know how to open a can of coconut milk to add to my curries and smoothies. I do NOT know what to do with a full, whole coconut. Although I ws successful opening one the other day, I know there has to be a better way. What I want to know is how do people out in the villages open one? I used a screw driver, hammer, machete, spoon, and a very strong husband. They may have machetes and strong men, but I know they don't have a screw driver or a hammer.

Those question may not be answered here, but hopefully you'll enjoy the info, pics, and videos.

Here's a site that lists the benefits of all the parts of the coconut:


Joy and her husband found a coconut with roots on it at the beach. They dug it up and put it in the back yard...in a few years they'll have a coconut producing tree!
First, I got the water out with a screw driver and hammer.


Then I used my super strong husband and the machete to crack it open on the lines.



Then I had to pry the meat away from the shell. That's the real hard part.


Now it's ready to eat!!

2 comments:

  1. With swordsmanship like that, I think Kyle may have a place in the upcoming Hobbit movie. Lynea, I admire your persistence because that is a lot of work. I prefer apples, bananas and oranges... maybe a pomegranate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, at least you can eat a pomegranate as you go so the work is a little more rewarding. By the time you finish a coconut, you don't want to eat it because then it will go away and you'd have to do it all over again! - Nea

      Delete