Saturday, July 23, 2011

Dad's Birthday

Today’s my dad’s birthday and so I’m thinking about him. He’s lived a really good 54 years. I don’t know this for a fact, but I think my dad wakes up everyday and chooses joy. That’s a hard thing to do, but he does it. When I think about him, I think of a guy smiling from ear to ear, waiting to give us a hug. I think of guy who works hard and also loves hard. He’s an encourager and a supporter and a complimenter. He’s grateful for the simple and taught us to enjoy the small things as well. Not only does he give out gut-busting laughter, but he’ll dish out tears as well. A man who laughs hard and often, but tears up over inspiring, moving stories; a man fully alive...I wanna be like him.

One of my favorite writers, Henri Nouwen, said:

“One of the most beautiful things that can happen in a human life is that parents become brothers and sisters for their children, that children become fathers and mothers for their parents, that brothers and sisters become friends and that fatherhood, motherhood, brotherhood, and sisterhood are deeply shared by all the members of the family at different times and on different occasions.”


I think that’s happening with my dad and I. We’re becoming friends. And I like that.

So I raise a cup of French Roast coffee to my dad, Owen Mitchell, for being the kind of dad I’d love to be someday.

Happy birthday Dad,

Kyle


3 comments:

  1. I totally agree. Happy Belated Birthday. I also like Henry Nouwen.....Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyle: your Dad really is one in a million. He is unique and strong in all the good ways. And I have no doubt but that you will pass along the baton seamlessly. -- Ronnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ronnie and Mitch for stopping by. I know you two have helped shape him into who he is.

    ReplyDelete